Re: Only for Triumph enthusiasts in NEW ZEALAND

To: "Irwin Armstrong" <armstrong@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Only for Triumph enthusiasts in NEW ZEALAND
From: "David Greed" <greed@wave.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 20:49:27 +1300charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Irwin

There are other products of this type on the market - Carbonflo is one and
there was also another one - name escapes for now. Carbonflo did indeed
suffer those problems and the explantion given to me was that they only had
one size which worked OK for engines up to 1000cc, but their claims were
that it would work for anything - a big mistake on their part.

We had a Fuelstar representative speak at a club meeting who brought up that
case at the start of his speech to emphasise that they were well aware of
what has gone before them and that they had to make sure that they did not
fall in to the same trap. That is not to say that they have had some strong
challenges as mentioned by me yesterday.

Fuelstar, as you will note on their site (www.fuelstar.com) have different
size units for different size engines, and state that if your engine is in
the high performance category (eg. turboed, a Ferrari, whatever) then you
should go for the next higher size. I have heard of one guy installing two
units in his Ferrari Belinetta Boxer - one for each bank of cyliners. I am
not sure how he plumbed them in though...

Th principle of these units is based on a discovery made during World War
II. Apparently, there was a squadron of Spitfires stationed on the Eastern
front where the fuel was not so good. They consequently had a lot of
problems with engine reliability until it was disovered that fuel that had
been stored in tin lined drums performed and easier on engines than fuel
left in standard drums - hence the use of tin in the canisters.

You may ask why tin is not placed in fuel in the same way that lead is/was.
The reason is that tin will not stay in suspension for long enough when
sitting in a cars fuel tank - hence the reason for the fuel passing through
the tin cones just prior to entering the carburettor(s). The fuelstar also
uses magnets that somehow affects the molecular structure of the fuel which
makes for a cooler burn and is therefore less harsh on the exhaust valves.

I might add that the Austin 1800 was one the worst at burning valves. I
remember when my father had one in about 1967, just after they were released
in New Zealand. The fuel then had a very high lead content (it was halved
several years later in NZ before being abolished altogether) and that car
burnt exhaust valves at least every 15000 miles... Large body, small motor,
soft valve seats - disaster...

I must add that I have no connection with the company - I am just a more
than satisfied customer... Up until I fitted the fuelstar, I was fast losing
faith in the Triumph, such were the problems I was having - with the
canister, my faith has been restored in the car.

Regards

David Greed
1979 2500S Man O/D

Email: greed@wave.co.nz  (Home)