Re: R&R TR3 Rear Axles

To: Jim Bauder <JimBPPS@att.net>
Subject: Re: R&R TR3 Rear Axles
From: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:07:30 -0700
Cc: Triumph Newsgroup <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
While I make no claims to be  a metallurgist,  I have always had respect
for the tempering process... and as a result, I just kept the heat I apply
minimal...   i.e. you don't have to heat things up with a blow torch until
they're glowing!  I just take the cheap little propane number... and gently
heat up the area in question... certainly far LESS hot than even some parts
experience from heavy driving!   Nevertheless, this is often all the heat
that is required to break a rust bond, etc..   I have NOT tried to replace
the bearings in question... but if I did... I would be willing to apply
some heat...  but I wouldn't leave it to the typical shop welder to apply
HIS concept of what is enough...  : ).

--Justin