RE: True or False/ japanese cars

To: "'bollen@ibm.net'" <bollen@ibm.net>
Subject: RE: True or False/ japanese cars
From: "Stinocher, Bryan D." <bdstinocher@sewsus.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 17:07:59 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "'TRIUMPH MAIL'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
I only take exception to your use of the words "rice burner" and "jap" after
I had stated specifically how ignorant that sounds. I do not care that you
drive American cars; I have owned several that I enjoyed just as much as my
Japanese cars. I am sure that my TR250 will give me just as much enjoyment,
even though it won't be as good as my Toyota's are. No 60's car can compare
with a car of today. Different era's altogether.

I apologize for calling you a bigot. That was uncalled for. It is a word
thrown around all too commonly anymore, and I used that as I crutch in a
moment of anger and fatigue. However, I do believe that your use of the
words "rice burner" and "jap" are just as insulting as if you had used
"nigger" or "spic". It is meant to deride.

But I do know what I am talking about when it comes to the big 3. The
competition they got in the 70's and 80's woke up their sorry butts. What
happened in this country is that we decided that Lee Iacocca was the epitome
of patriotism for bashing the bad, bad Japanese. Do you want to know
something? Lee was talking out of both sides of his mouth. When he said "Buy
American" Chrysler had a working relationship with (gasp) Mitsubishi! And if
you look at the Chryslers of the 80's, I'll bet there are a lot of stickers
on the parts written in English and Japanese. We equivocated buying
Chryslers (or American cars in general) with being patriotic. My Toyota
Camry is built here, in the US. It has more US content than a lot of
"American" cars.

Does this mean that I think if you don't drive a Toyota I think you're an
idiot? No! I personally like them, just as some like Tauruses, Chevy
Pickups, and little LBCs. All I'm saying is: cut out the derogatory remarks.
They are uncalled for. It's funny that I don't hear "limey" cars, "kraut"
cars, "wop" cars, or the like (have I offended most of you yet?). Why?
Because we like those cars! Who doesn't like LBCs, or Mercedes Benz, or a
Ferrari? But if it is a Japanese car, they are immediately referred to as
"jap" cars, or "rice burners". Oh, by the way, the Japanese motorcycle
companies helped save  Harley-Davidson, because they didn't want to see such
a classic bike go away. So much for wanting to bury the competition...

Now for some sacrilege. I like Miatas!!! In fact, I drove one on our
anniversary (my wife is a cheap date; we test-drove a BMW Z3 and a Miata),
and that contributed heavily to my wife allowing me (I admit it, I am in
fear of her!) to buy the 250. The Miata was fun to drive, but I didn't want
to spend $22K for one. So I began looking for something else. And I came
upon the 250. A lot cheaper (initially, but since I have joined the list and
have been reading, I'm not so sure anymore!!!), a lot more work, but once
I'm done, I will have done it. I think that is what drives most of us to buy
them.

Sorry for the long post. Most of you are probably gone by now, but I wanted
to make sure that you understood my position. I had originally replied to
bollen@ibm.net off-list, but since he replied on-list, I wanted to be sure
that you all didn't think I was some weird duck or something. Maybe it is
too late...

Bryan
bdstinocher@sewsus.com
502-782-7397 xt. 2284