Windscreen Trim Question

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Windscreen Trim Question
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 13:22:10 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi gang,

I just spent all morning wrestling with a large gorilla... or it seemed that
way.

I had removed the windscreen and cut out the old rubber seal for the glass.
It was as hard as a rock and cracked very badly.  If you remember I was
trying to find a way to get the old seal material off the windscreen frame
in preparation for installing a new seal.   The best method turned out to be
using a heat gun from my model airplane hobby and a metal scrapper
(carefully).... and then Xylene to get the rest off.  I decided on new glass
instead of buffing out the old glass.  Lots of folks were pessimistic about
that process.

Getting the new glass into the frame was like stuffing 10 pounds of you know
what in a 5 pound bag.  Took about 3 1/2 hours.  I used the string trick and
was amazed at how well it worked.

My question is about the shiny trim that goes in to the seal on the outside.
I have the two old metal pieces... and they're not in bad shape.  Not
perfect and need lots of cleaning up to get sealer that the PO used to glue
them to the old seal. I also have the new plastic trim from TRF.

Should I try to restore the metal pieces or go with the plastic trim as used
on the TR6.  How does this plastic stuff stand up.  Are there restoration
originality issues with using the plastic trim.

Your advice is valued as usual.

P.S. Malcolm..... If you think it would be valuable and not a dupe, I will
volunteer to write this up as a FAQ while it is fresh in my mind.  Let me
know

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA
sanborn@net1plus.com