Re: GT6 Love Affair

To: "Dr. Robert Carley" <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Re: GT6 Love Affair
From: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 10:21:52 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
---"Dr. Robert Carley" <rcarley@uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> I like the looks...

That's right, you can't beat 'em for cool looks, I'm actually having a
tough time deciding whether I really want to chop off the top make a
Sixfire or not. The curvey roof gives the car so much of its
character. I'm considering making it a removeable option...

> ...confining space...

Yes, well, I'm 5'8" and skinny, and I don't have much room to
spare-fits like a good boot.

> ...really that hot...

really hot was when I forgot to turn the heater lever from "car" to
"off". The "wind wing" windows can be turned forward past 90 degrees
(angle measure as well as temp!) to literally scoop fresh air directly
into the cockpit. I've never sat in the car in summer and thought
"gee, I wish I wasn't sitting in this sharp little car" it's more like
"gotta get to those open roads so I can get some more airflow!" The
temp gauge never goes above 1/2, though I understand an electric fan
is good for 5-10 horsepower depending who you ask! This summer I
installed a layer of that "aluminized bubble wrap" to cool things a
little more!

>85 mph?
Not if you don't mind watching the tach swing wildly between 3,000 and
top! It was actually fairly comfortable. Far more stable and
confidence inspiring than my '96 Explorer at 85mph! I did once see
"the ton" as well, but that was when I was a little younger and hadn't
used up so many of my 9 lives yet!
I would install an overdrive if I came across one.

I'd certainly recommend the GT6+ to cure many ailments!

Have a look at
http://www.dimebank.com/Bubba.html
to see details of Chris Kantarjiev's nice autocrosser -- a major
inspiration to me!

John Donohoe
'70 GT6+ KC 81718
'70 GT6+ (future Sixfire)
'6? GT6 (Just closed the deal. taking a trailer from MI to Boston
(10/16-10/18) to collect it from "a barn"!