Re: Suspending a hoist

To: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>
Subject: Re: Suspending a hoist
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 09:46:48 -0500
Cc: Peter Schauss <schauss@worldnet.att.net>, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net, TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

    Michael> Peter Schauss wrote:
    >>  I am thinking about using a 1 ton chain hoist to pull
    >> the engine on my Healey (about 600 # without the
    >> gearbox ).  If I run an eye bolt through the ceiling
    >> and spread the weight over several joists, will they
    >> hold the weight safely?  If so, how many joists and
    >> what size eye bolt?

    Michael> I'm about ready to do the same thing (my garage
    Michael> is about 24x24), but I'm thinking of propping up
    Michael> the joist with a couple of 4x4s or 2x6s, one on
    Michael> either side of the car. Might make two A-frames
    Michael> of 2x4s instead, again with one one either
    Michael> side. If I'm about to bring the garage down
    Michael> around me, PLEASE let me know!! Thanks.

I've done this several times now.  I have a length of black
iron pipe upstairs in the loft across ~4 joists (6' pipe, 18"
joists, a legacy from the previous owner who pulled the small
block from his hopped up camaro with it at least once) and a
chainfall.  I feel perfectly comfortable up to the 1000lb
limit of the chainfall, and probably beyond truth be told.
After all, I weigh nearly 300lbs and I walk around up there
all the time, and there's a furnace up there that's got to
outweigh me by a few pounds too...
                                                        -MM