Triumph 35 amp fuses

To: Dan Masters <DANMAS@aol.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Triumph 35 amp fuses
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 16:25:52 -0400
Message text written by Dan Masters
>fuses are 17 amp current rated, 35amp blow rated.<

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Dan,
Maybe  a 20  or 25 amp slow-blow would give a good match?

It would appear that the fuses are rated too high for the installed
wiring as delivered for the factory (17 amp continuous).  I wonder
why they did this when they would be creating a fire hazard.  As you
point out, the total draw on the trunk line would be greater than the
5 amps the terminal wires.

So, since you suggest 10,15 and 20 amp fuses, maybe these should
be slow-blow types?  Or maybe under rate the fuses some and then
use slow-blows.  I am concerned that even with the down-rated fuses
that you recommend, it might still allow the smallest wires to get smoked.

I guess I will try to run short lengths of wires at high amperages to see
whether the wire smokes or the fuse blows.  I bet that the smoke limit
for wiring is well known.    I.E.  5 amp wire carrys 5 amps with no
warming;  when run at 10 amps continuous = hot but no melt;
15 amps = insulation melt under worst case scenarios.

Maybe the designers were using a different load limit when picking
the fuses.  Maybe they decided to let the smallest wires get close
to melting before the fuse blows....

-Tony