generic (as in not just Triumphs) question about oil levels

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: generic (as in not just Triumphs) question about oil levels
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 09:24:35 -0400 ()
Any of you all-round mechanics care to speculate on something for me? I'm
wondering what possible effects there might be from overfilling the
crankcase on a 1991 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 V6 engine. After running
flawlessly for the last 134,000 miles (including 2500+ miles to and from
Wisconsin last week -- save for the alternator failure, but that's a
separate story), it is now running like CR*P. Spot checks of various items
reveal the oil about one quart above the full mark!? Oil was changed just
before the trip, and one quart was added in Wisconsin.

BTW, Yes, I do know how to read a dipstick even on a Ford. Oil appears ok
(as in not diluted with gas, water, marmot fur, etc.)

Please reply directly, since this really doesn't apply to Triumphs all
that much (unless you consider the fact that this was my means of
attending the VTR Convention).

TIA.

--Andy