Injector warning

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Injector warning
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 22:04:33 +0100
Hi, listers.

I stripped down two of the injectors on my PI today. Found a big lump of
black, rubbery crud in No.2 which can't have been helping.

However, there is a grub screw which fits into the spring which holds the
injector closed. The same screw also carries the nylon collar which holds
the whole lot together.

Note that, on mine, the screw was fitted a certain distance into the spring
and was not screwed tight up against the collar.

This appears to be an adjustment which pre-loads the spring so the injector
opens at the correct pressure. Mess this up and the injector opening
pressure will be wrong.

When hammering the car on the road to prime the injectors, I noticed a lot
of brownish/grey smoke coming from the exhaust. I wonder if this is my high
fuel consumption problem?

I would suggest that the diaphragm spring which controls on-throttle
enrichment is incorrectly set (the spring is new). Would altering the
preload on top of the metering unit help? If so, which of the adjusters is
involved.

Info from anyone who has tweaked this setting would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Dave Hill, UK.