Fuel tank vent and starvation

To: mw_jordan@mindspring.com
Subject: Fuel tank vent and starvation
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:52:28
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
You wrote:

Separate issue.  The parts manual shows a banjo fitting at the top of
the fuel tank, presumably to provide venting to the tank.  On the tank I
removed there appears to be a bolt fitted in the top, no banjo, no vent
line.  So the only way the tank could vent would be through the filler
cap, and the filler cap seals should prevent this.  While not related to
the rust question, could this lead to fuel starvation and could it in
some way lead to a lean condition, regardless of the carb settings.  The
reason I ask is that I have something of an overheating condition when
the car is run hard, but it cools fine when not run aggressively.
+++++++++++++++

MW,

Yes, I believe blocking the vent, could lead to fuel starvation, but your
overheating my just be the radiator not being able to handle the heat
output of the engine under the additional load of the aggressive driving.
Remember, you are adding a lot of extra fuel, which inturn generates a lot
of heat,

Does it overheat faster when the tank is full?  With a full tank, there is
less air to pull a vacuum on, so the fuel starvation should start more
quickly with a full tank if this is the cause.

It's easy to check.  Temporarily replace the bolt with some sort of venting
system, or, better yet, get the correct one in place.  It's just a banjo
fitting and a copper tube which goes down just through a small hole in the
floor.

BTW - Don't just remove the bolt.  Splashing gas will stink up you car for
months.  My car had the vent tube disconnected, it was there, but the bolt
was on the floor.  The first fill up resulted in a brutal gas smell in the
car.  The PO must have known, but didn't tell me.

Good luck and stay cool,

Jack