Re: tr6 gauges

To: "TR6 List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: tr6 gauges
From: "scott s." <75270_3703a@csi.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:08:49 +0000
On Mon, 20 Jul 1998 13:55:18 -0600, Peter Zaborski wrote:

>This weekend I drove my TR6 in the dark (with lights on of course)
for the
>first time since replacing the steering column bushings recently.
While I
>had the tach and speedo out for the bushing replacement I
succumbed to the
>temptation of cleaning the inside of the gauge glass as well as the
gauge
>faces. Although they looked nice in the daylight, it was only in the
>darkness that I realized what a huge difference the clean glass has
made.
>The tach and speedo look just great illuminated by the normal
gauge lighting
>(something often lamented by many owners as being totally
inadequate - I say
>not true, with clean gauges the lighting is great!).
>
>Of course now the illumination of the other gauges sucks big time
when
>compared to the freshly cleaned speedo and tach. I am therefore
very tempted
>to do the same with the smaller gauges. Of course they are going
to be
>somewhat harder to remove. What I'm looking for are tips from
those who have
>removed the smaller gauges on a TR6 on how to make this task
easier. I need
>only to remove the glass and trim ring so I probably won't need to
>disconnect the leads (or oil line). I don't want to dismantle any
more than
>I need to.
>
>Any insights appreciated greatly!
>
>--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO  Calgary,Canada ---

Actually, it's no big deal at all.  I think it's best to undo the
speedo and tach first, take off the little strap from the
glove compartment door, then unscrew the dash, pull it free, and
have at it.  There's just knurled nuts holding a bracket which
works against the back of the dash.   You probably will find it
better to remove the gauges to a table to work on them.
IIRC I just undid the oil pipe from the engine and pulled it
through the firewall.  While you're at it make sure your dimmer
is working OK and your various switches / idiot lights.

scott s.