Re: fuel pump problems

To: Berny Pellaers <berny.pellaers@ping.be>
Subject: Re: fuel pump problems
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 12:20:29 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Berny Pellaers wrote:

> I think I have a problem with the fuel pump of my TR4. Sometimes while
> driving the motor drops out, after restarting I can keep on driving, and
> after a little while, the motor drops out again. The motor keeps on doing
> this several times, until the motor can't be restarted.
> When starting again, the motor starts up, runs for a few seconds and drops
> down immediately.

That could be the fuel pump, but I'd guess it to be the lines.

If you are "pumping air", it's actually because your pump can't suck
enough gas through the line, and is pulling air in through the sediment
bowl.

Empty the gas tank, unhook the line at the tank and the pump, and see if
you can blow backwards through it.  If a whole pile of crud comes out, you
have found your problem.  If you can't move anything through the line,
you've found a REAL problem.  Replacing the lines is not difficult but it
is a bit time-consuming.  It helps to have the car quite a ways off the
ground (properly supported) so that you can wrestle with the long line.

I am going to re-do the lines on my TR4.  It exhibited the same problem
when I drove it last (after sitting for 6 years...)

I think I will also have to slush out the tank to stop rusty bits from
clogging up the works (again).

I also have a clear fuel filter mounted high up in the engine- I can see
it from the drivers seat (with bonnet up...) and it's easy to tell if the
fuel pump is working.

-Malcolm