Re: ZSvs.SU Carbs

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Dr. Robert Carley" <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Re: ZSvs.SU Carbs
From: "DON BOYD, JOAN IKOMA" <dbji@whidbey.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 01:15:32 -0700
hi doc;

i,ll start from the front and work back. airbox cut for more air.(should
have made a cold air intake but i live in a cool climate and i wanted it to
look stock. much more fun to open the hood and say "oh not much in the way
of changes in here") hee hee hee . k'n air filters with modified elipsoid
entry stacks.(see vizard). fully ported carbs.again see vizard. SU needle
mod as per the CPM.RG or RH needles??? i'd have to look it up. ported
manifold-lots done but i think more is left. head is ported to more current
thinking than the comp prep manual. stock size valves though,reshaped.
shaved head , 10.5-1. lots of work in the ex. ports. use anti reversion in
the port. isnt worth any hp but it will pull on the cam 500 rpm sooner.
2x3into1 headers. i,m aware  other designs should work better but that
would require lots of dyno time to work it out. i knew this design would
offer a broad torque curve. piper dual pattern cam. memory says about 235
deg@.050, but i might be mistaken. recurved dist.
stainless sport dual exhaust.the engine mods were designed to work with
each other in harmony, so no full race cams, super large ports,valves,
large header tubes etc. the zs carbs were a limiting flow factor so a LOT
of work went into them. RPM is limited to 6000 but it wants to pull
straight through it. the relativly stock bottom end limits this. the fun
starts at 3000, mostly limited by detonation. i probably wont try to fix
that. motor is a gas. i always seem to get easier results on tr,s than
bmw,s. old bimmers are much tougher to get the ports to flow with hot cams.
----------
> From: Dr. Robert Carley <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
> To: dbji@whidbey.net
> Subject: Re: ZSvs.SU Carbs
> Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998 8:17 AM
>
> So, exactly what did you do to get 165 hp in your TR6?  I'm interested.
>
> Thanks.
>

> DON BOYD, JOAN IKOMA wrote:
>
> > robert carley; don't you belive it about the su zs debate. the zs carbs
can
> > be modified fairly easily to flow about 30% better than stock and even
if
> > left stock can be made to work great. see the tr6 comp prep manual(from
> > TRF) , and track down a copy of vizard's bmc a series book for an
eyeful of
> > good mods. my earley tr6 is making about 165 hp through zs carbs. i'll
fes
> > to being a pro wrench and a good machinist, and have a lot of race prep
> > expereance too but a talented amature could do all that is required.
after