re: Spitfire horsepower

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (IPM Return Requested)
Subject: re: Spitfire horsepower
From: William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 11:40:10 -0500
<<Two qustions:  78 Spitfire  horsepower.  Is it 57 or 81 or something
else.>>

Don't worry about it; as Aston Martin/ Rolls Royce used
to say: it's "sufficient".

 <<I had a hard time keeping up with an old VW Superbeetle entering
the interstate the other night.>>

Never underestimate an "old VW Superbeetle".  They're just
Porsches in training pants.  Stock, they're not slow.... and how
many are still stock?  I've driven Beetles that will give a
Mustang GT a run for its money.  Finally, LBC's weren't
designed to win drag races.

 << How much horsepower could I reasonably
expect to gain for $500.00 to $1000.00 Reliability also.>>

Completely dependent on what kinds of emission controls
you have to meet.  Improved carb(s), a bump in
compression and cam, and a good exhaust should
help a lot. Still won't win a lot of drag races, though.
"Ain't no substitute for cubic inches."

<<  Question #4,
would I be REALLY crazy to drive from Florida to southern Ohio in my
Spitfire & how much trouble would I have pulling the mountains in NC
Virginia & W. Virginia.>>

Depends on the condition of the car.  If power's your only
issue, fear not.  And take the back roads through the
mountains, you'll enjoy the ride more... your car LIVES
for those sorts of drives.  I first got into LBC's because
nothing else could keep up with them on the mountain
roads.

<< #5  Am I NUTS?>>

Absolutely.  Welcome to the club.

Bill Elliott