Re: Clunking

To: Ryan Smith <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Clunking
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 17:48:24 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Ryan Smith wrote:

> Reply follows:
>
> >After that the clunking started. Softly at first, but rapidly getting
> >worse. There are a few strange things about it, though. It only happens
> >during acceleration and steady speed running - foot off the gas and it
> >stops. The clunk rate is proportional to road speed. The weird thing
> is,
> >it's much louder in 4th gear than 3rd at any given speed, and no trace
> >of a knock in 1st or 2nd. Final weirdness - it's coming from the front
> >of the car, as best as I can tell.
> >
> >Has anybody had this unusual set of symptoms?
>
> This is what my 72 Spit is doing.  I wouldn't actually call it a clunk
> though, since it is constant.  Its more of a LOUD whine heard only under
> acceleration that comes do a virtual stop the instant the gas is let
> off.  The noise is relative to speed and seems to also be most prominent
> in fouth gear (of course I'm going the fastest in 4th)I'm looking to
> tackle this job next week but I'd like some idea to what exactly is
> making the noise.
>
> thanks
>
> Ryan Smith
> 72 Spitfire

Ryan ... your problem sounds more like just a worn diff.  Is there more
than 1/4 inch or so of free play in your prop shaft?  (Probably.)  Does
your car buck when you let off the gas?  The only cure is a diff rebuild
(expensive), but you can still go a long way on a whiny diff, so, what's
the diff?

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6