TR6 gearbox problems

To: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 gearbox problems
From: Bollen <bollen@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 18:08:24 -0400
Cc: TR8 <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
About 3000 miles on a rebuilt gearboxand O/D on my 74. Today, going to
the Heart of Bucks Show (won 1st prize) I lost reverse.The gear lever
snicks into position but the car acts just like its in neutral.No
grinding etc, just zilch. Then on the way home I lost third, same thing,
acted like I had hit neutral. After getting home, I found I could just
get reverse by holdiong the lever down hard. Holding in the 3rd gear
position, the gear just wanted to jump out.I'm hoping its a selector rod
problem. Dave Crane did the tranny and has an excellent reputation.Any
suggestions before I start ripping things apart?THe O/D is working fine.
Stu
74 TR6  80 TR8