Re: Oil Light

To: 75trsix@snet.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Oil Light
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 23:53:50 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-10 20:47:14 EDT, 75trsix@snet.net writes:

> A few months ago there was a thread here about how the dash brake light
>  indicator and oil light were wired in series (?) for a good reason. Well of
>  course I didn't save that thread and now my dash brake light indicator and
>  oil light don't work. I swapped the ignition light and oil light bulbs, so
>  it's not a bulb problem at the tach. I haven't tested the brake light
>  indicator bulb yet. Any other suggestions?

Bob,

If the brake light bulb is bad, neither one of the lights will work. To check
the total wiring for these lights, with the key on, but the engine not
running, lift the brown/white wire from the oil pressure switch and touch it
to ground. Both bulbs should light. If they do, you have a bad oil pressure
switch, or a bad connection at the oil pressure switch.

If not, you probably have a bad brake warning bulb (since you have checked the
oil light, it is not the oil light bulb), or, a bad connection in the wiring
somewhere. To check that, with the key on but the engine not running, lift the
black/purple wires from the brake failure switch and touch them to ground. If
the brake warning light doesn't come on, the bulb is bad, or there is a bad
connection in the brake light wiring.

If the brake warning light does come on, then the problem is in the wiring to
the oil pressure light. Check the connections and/or look for breaks in the
wiring.

Of course, it is possible that you have more than one problem, so if this
doesn't find the fault, let me know and I will tell you what to do to find the
second fault.

Hope this helps.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN