Re: Electric Fans / Crankshaft

To: DANMAS@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Electric Fans / Crankshaft
From: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 09:35:01 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-30 23:51:12 EDT, Dan Masters writes:

<< I may be all wet, but at least that's my opinion. Perhaps the TR3 uses a
  totally different damper construction than nearly any other car ever made?

I haven't seen anyone answer Dan's question directly yet.  The fact is, the
TR3 and TR4 don't  have any damper at all.  There's a 6" steel "fan extension"
that looks a little like a dumbbell, to which the fan bolts.  The pulley bolts
to the other end and the crankshaft dog bolt attaches the whole thing directly
to the crankshaft.  I don't frankly see how the fan could make much
difference, although there are some small "balancing" pieces you're supposed
to use to balance the fan.  I recently found an aluminum fan extension cast
the same as the original steel piece, but without any holes for fan attachment
at all.  It appears to be a Triumph racing product and was apparently designed
to be used without a fan.

Don Marshall
'57 TR3   '63 TR3B   '63 TR4