TR3 Starters

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 Starters
From: kinderlehrer@mindspring.com (Kinderlehrer's)
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 20:48:12 -0400 (EDT)
Jack,

Thanks for the note.

In my investigations I heard that it is not uncommon to cut a hole in the
bell housing to adapt the newer style starter to the oler style bell
housing.  The critical element is the ring gear.  If the ring gear is
bolted on, then you need the newer style starter.  If the ring gear is
compressed on, you need the older  "bullet style" starter.  You  can tell
by looking in the hole the starter goes into.  If you have a pressed on
ring gear, you have 2 choices. 1. Replace the flywheel and ring gear, 2.
get a bullet nose stater rebuilt. If you put the new stater from Moss on
with the wrong ring gear, you will end up with a bell housing full of metal
filings.

Good luck with your projects, you will be a mechanic before you are done.

Bob