Trailing Arm Queries

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Trailing Arm Queries
From: "Linda Long (IM)" <LLong@Kollmorgen.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 19:50:39 -0400
Scions,
The removal of the trailing arms on my TR6 in order to replace the 22
year old bushings continues.  All is going well thanks to the advise and
direction supplied by fellow listers.  I'd like to pose two questions
that fall in the "curious minds need to know" category.

1) I removed the outside trailing arm bracket that is secured to the
frame member with two bolts mounted horizontally.  After removing the
bracket I noticed two more holes in the frame member about 1 inch away
from the two holes that were used to secure the bracket.  What are those
two other holes intended for?  I can't believe they were put there for
no reason.

2)  The figures "30/3/76" are scratched by hand onto the side of the
trailing arm just 'fore of the hole used to house the half shaft as it
comes through the trailing arm.  Each numeral is about 1" in height.  Is
this more than some boarded tradesman scratching the current date on the
part as it whizzed by him on the assembly line?  Anglo-hieroglyphics?
Code from prison labor? Winning Loto number?

TIA

Tom Long
64TR4
68TR250