Re: Antifreeze (was Re: TR-3 crank)

To: <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Antifreeze (was Re: TR-3 crank)
From: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 17:10:26 -0400
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Thanks, Art.

Makes sense to me.  Here in New England, the American car manufacturers
usually recommend  50 - 50.  So, I have always used it in my LBCs as well.
Antifreeze is cheap.  The boiling point of H2O is 212F/100C (at one
atmosphere of pressure.)   I believe the boiling point of ethylene glycol
is higher.  That's another reason it's used in the summer.

Regards,

Sumner

----------
> From: ArthurK101@aol.com
> To: sweisman@gis.net; amley001@gold.tc.umn.edu
> Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Antifreeze (was Re: TR-3 crank)
> Date: Friday, June 19, 1998 2:38 PM
>
> In a message dated 98-06-19 08:47:25 EDT, sweisman@gis.net writes:
>
> >  I've always assumed (perhaps wrongly
> >  [again?]) that a 50 - 50 mixture of ethylene glycol and water was
right.

> FWIW, water is a better coolant than anti-freeze.  However it does bad
things
> to your cooling system - rust, corrosion and - if it freezes solid -boom.
> mixture of 50/50 is touted by the chemical manufacturers because it 1)
ensures
> that the inhibitors etc. in the anti-freeze are there to prevent those
> problems and 2) it sells more of their product.
>
> But 70/30 (water/antifreeze) works ok for me in the Florida summer.
Seems to
> give enough protection. (I also use water-wetter.)   As for winter - if
we had
> one in Fl, I would go to 50/50, which is what I used to do in the
Northeast US