Spit: resonating metallic grinding noise

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit: resonating metallic grinding noise
From: romano@bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk (Romano Kroemer)
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 15:03:38 +0100 (BST)
Dear all,

I had a strange experience yesterday and I wondered if anyone has a clue what
  was going on:

I drove with my spit, turned into a side road and suddenly I heard a loud
  metallic grinding noise. I stopped immediately, turned the engine off.
  I opened the bonnet, nothing evident. I put it into neutral, handbrake off,
  and I pushed it back and fourth - a very loud, resonating metallic grinding
  (almost singing) noise. It came from the front end of the car. I had a look
  again, I could not see anything wrong. I pushed the car back and forth
  another few times. Suddenly it made a noise as if something was falling
  off or settling into place. Then nothing, no noise at all! I checked again,
  this time also under the car - nothing. I started the car, started driving
  slowly - nothing. The steering was straight ( with the hands off the
  steering wheel the car drove in a straight line), brakes worked fine and
  also during breaking the car did not pull to the side. Went home, no
  problems, no complaints.

Any ideas? What should I check?

The only hint that I can give is that my heat shield is desintegrating at the
  moment. It is one of this flimsy types made of two layers of
  "kichen aluminium foil" with some insulating material in between
  (replacement has been ordered already). Could a part of the heatshield have
  gotten somewhere in between two rotating parts and have caused such a loud
  noise?

Thanks for all replies!

Romano
'77 Spit