Can A Water Pump Spit Oil?

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Can A Water Pump Spit Oil?
From: "David Hill" <davehill@sgi.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 23:22:59 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi Listers,

After driving my TR3-A today (first time in about a year or so......)I
lifted the bonnet and noticed fresh oil spray on the underside of the hood.
The spray mark is entered above the water pump pulley on the bonnet's
stiffener.  There are also marks on either radiator support bars/ brackets
on the fenders.

I'm a novice mechanic at best so here are my questions:

Is it likely that the spray (light misting after approx. 1 our on the road)
is coming from the oil pump assembly?

Or, is it more likely coming form the crankshaft pulley/ seal (what is that
"oil thrower plate" for that I see in the Haynes manual just before the
pulley)?

Could it be that after sitting a while, some oil built up on the thrower
plate and is now being thrown?

My guess, based on the location of the deposit, is that it is coming from
the water pump but I'm not positive.

Other notes:

While twisting through some beautiful scenery, for a second or two (my
steering is very "play-full" so I couldn't do this for long....) I turned my
eyes down to the right and looked at the yellow dashed lines painted on the
road, as they whizzed by so close........a chill ran down my spine.......I
started to smile ............then, I let out a loud and uncontrollable laugh
or two of enjoyment!  Eyes back to the front!....Whoa........this thing is
hard to keep in a straight line..........but I love it!  Ahhh, I'm home
again.......my clothes smell like gas, my arms just a bit tired form a short
jaunt. Ahhhhh.....Triumph......Later, I got into my daily driver (VW) and it
felt like a Marsh-Mellow car (if it heard me say that, I'm in trouble).

Any comments, questions, or diagnosis on the above questions is appreciated.

Best Regards,

David Hill #2