FW: Disable lurking mode (long)

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Disable lurking mode (long)
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 09:33:11 -0600 (MDT)

BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from ["Ronald
van-der-Let" <rvdl@hotmail.com>

     Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 01:32:09 PDT
     From: "Ronald van-der-Let" <rvdl@hotmail.com>
     Subject: Disable lurking mode (long)

Fellow listers,

After lurking for quite some time now (something like two years), but
still enjoying every triumph- and british-car-digest I get, it's time to
become active once again.
With the money of my sold MB 350SL burning in my pocket, I felt it was
time to experience Triumph driving again. Two options were at hand. Nr 1
was finishing my GT6 restoration and number 2 was buying another
Triumph. Considering the progress on the GT6 in the last few years I
quickly forgot about option nr 1 and decided to buy another Triumph.
Being hooked on open driving with the Merc again it just had to be a
convertible. Furthermore, I just love the Triumph inline six for all the
obvious reasons. I also love the TR4 styling. Luckily Triumph already
added two and two together when they made the TR5 and TR250.
A few weeks ago I saw a '68 TR5 PI advertised in Dendermonde in Belgium.
As most of Belgium is only a two hours drive (at 95 mph that is), it was
off to Dendermonde one afternoon. After a thorough inspection, a very
entertaining testdrive (the guy selling the car was a former Belgium
Rally Champion who still knew how to drive) and some haggling while
enjoying some Belgian beer the car was mine!!
The car started its life as a TR250 in 1968 and was imported into
Belgium in 1989. Considering its condition it must have been body-off
restored at that time and it still looks smart. I guess it was then when
they converted it to a PI, i.e. they replaced the carbs with aPI system
and changed the badges. Hence it's still fitted with the low compression
cylinder head. It only needs some cosmetic attention, like dashboard and
wing beadings. In order for it to pass the test required to get a Dutch
registration I need to replace the steering rack, column bearings and
diff mountings.
I can't wait to try it out on the winding riverdyke roads!
The only downside is that Dutch red tape for the registration takes
about two months, so I have to be patient. However it gives me time to
dream up trick questions for the List :-)
Anyway I keep you posted and if the're any Dutch Listers why not drop me
an Email, I don't see to many cloggies on the list.

Triumphantly yours,

Ronald van der Let  Culemborg, the Netherlands

Triumph GT6 MkI '67 Undergoing nut and bolt restoration.
                    You need to travel at least 10 miles
                    to see all the parts
Triumph TR5PI '68   Getting ready for the Dutch registration test
Mercedes 250CE '71  Daily workhorse for the wife