Re: Going to England

To: NA Campiglia <spitdrvr@camalott.com>
Subject: Re: Going to England
From: William Davies <w.davies@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 21:38:23 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,
    Firstly, Fairford is most certainly East of Wales! Go West from Wales and
you get wet - I grew up
there! Secondly, I now live quite near Fairford, Swindon in fact, which is less
than 20 miles away.
    As regards places to visit, you'll be pretty well placed to visit many good
museums, and as regards
parts suppliers, John Kippings wonderful shop is only about 1.5 hours away by
car (Aldermans Green, in
Coventry). While in Coventry, the Museum of British Road Transport is well
worth a visit, if only to see
the Herald which was cut in half as a display piece for the 1959 motor show! It
is in fact the earliest
known surviving Herald (if you can call half a car a survivor!).
    There is a wonderful little museum at Bourton-on-the-Water, a small
picturesque town around half an
hour from Fairford. The museum is tiny, but contains several gorgeous Rileys
(amongst others), including a
Brooklands 9.
    I also think the British Motor Heritage Museum at Gaydon in Warwickshire is
well worth a visit. They
have on display a reasonable number of Triumphs, including the last Spitfire
and Dolomite Sprint (the
Museum of British Road Transport in Coventry coincidentally has the first
Dolomite Sprint!).
    These are the obvious places of interest I can think of which are on your
doorstep, I'm sure I'll think
of others after I've sent this! If you're in Fairford on the first Thursday of
the month (July I guess),
you'd receive a warm welcome at the TSSC club meeting in Swindon,
    Regards,
        Bill.

--
                            This Message sent by:
=====U==============U=====  1966 Herald 1200 Convertible
\________________________/  1970 Herald 13/60 Saloon
 | |                  | |   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup
 |_|                  |_|   1972 Spitfire MkIV