Triumph 2000 Rally Car - Help needed

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Triumph 2000 Rally Car - Help needed
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 22:24:42 +0100
Hi, guys
I've been contacted by someone in England who has just bought what he
believes to be an ex East African Safari Rally Car. He is in the process of
restoring it for future Classic Rally use and has asked me to see if I can
obtain more info from the list about the car, some of its history and the
restoration yet to do.

CARBURATION
Has anyone on the list run a 2000 engine on triple Webers? He and I believe
2000's did run 3 x 45DCOE's. He wants to obtain a manifold for the same but
does not know if one is available for the 'stepped' cylinder head which is
fitted to the car. Currently it's running on big Strombergs but they may
not be original. If a triple Weber manifold for a stepped head can be used,
does anyone know where one can be obtained? We're not just looking within
the UK - the US or Europe might have suitable sources.

THE CAR ITSELF
The chassis number is MB86567DL which suggests it saw some build activity
in Coventry. It was however entered in the E.A. Safari as a Works Car of
Leyland East Africa which was Triumph's importer for Kenya. Because of the
import tariffs prevailing at the time for fully built-up cars entering that
country, there is a strong possibility the car was shipped to Kenya in
component or semi-component form and its build was completed either in
Mombasa or Nairobi. We also know that when it was rallied by that company
the Kenyan registration (licence) number was KMB 9.
Does anyone out there have old press clippings, pictures of the car in
action and especially details of the colour it was painted. We believe the
body was white with a matt black bonnet and a white OR blue roof.
I remember this event quite clearly but the more I think about it, the more
confused I become. Incidentally, the car was a fairly late MkI.
Any input from anywhere will be gratefully appreciated.

John Macartney