Re: Furflex trim

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Furflex trim
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 00:44:00 -0400
Just writing to confirm Daniel Elder's suspicion.

Originally, at least some of the narrow-chassis Triumphs came with
cloth-covered door seals. My '62 Herald, for instance. No Furflex on
this baby when Mom took delivery back in '62.

There was a simple rubber gasket, with a thin flat section which folded
over the sheet metal lips around the doors. This was held in place by a
flexible, segmented steel 'U' channel piece, finished with a woven grey
cloth covering. The opening in the channel was fairly wide - enough to
go over the sheet metal lip plus twice the thickness of the rubber.

After years of footwear from small children (me, my brother and sister)
stomping on it to get into the back seat, the cloth covering evaporated.
The rusted steel channel eventually broke, leaving sharp, rusty,
tetanus-laden edges sticking up at the bottom of the door opening.

I still have the rubber gaskets for both doors, though they're not going
back on the car (I'm upgrading to Rimmer Bros Furflex!) The channel was
long ago replaced with some plastic junk from JC Whitney (see
"tetanus-laden edges...", above), which has also served out its term.

Bil Kelly
'62 Herald, GA41328LCV
'68 TR250, CD954L
Works in progress