Re: Polishing Metal

To: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas01@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Polishing Metal
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 22:13:33 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>, triumph owners digest <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Peter J. Thomas wrote:

> Plate, Stainless Steel and Thermosetting Plastics.  Since Red Rouge is a
> form of rust I personally would not recommend using it on steel.

For steel a good fine polish is Chromium Dioxide.  It's green.  In a pinch
you can use green oil paint (make sure it has CrO2 in it...) - won't cut
as fast as polish compound but will still make stuff shiny.

I've only used CrO2 for putting a *super* sharp edge on a wood chisel.
Apparently it does a good job of rust removal on flat steel.  I wouldn't
use it on aluminum though, it cuts too fast for soft metals.

-Malcolm