Re: New Triumph Owner & New to the list - 1966 TR4A IRS

To: Tom Winslow <tom_winslow@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: New Triumph Owner & New to the list - 1966 TR4A IRS
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 16:30:38 -0500 (CDT)
On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Tom Winslow wrote:

> I must have bought a good one! I just drove it back from Little Rock,
> Arkansas and did battle with the trucks on that I-40 corridor!
>
> Question number one:
>
> This TR does not have Electric OD. The '65 that I bought new (33 years ago)
> did and I loved it. Would it make since for me to try to acquire the parts
> and install (or have installed) the electric OD?
>
> Regards,
> Tom Winslow

        Tom

        This may seem a bit over the top... But here goes anyway.

        The original advice came from a Triumph mechanic... buy a rust
        bucket with working overdrive. You'll get enough parts you keep
        your TR, an overdrive, and may be able to sell what parts you don't
        use to recoup the some of the cost of the parts car. If you go
        looking for just an overdrive, you'll pay through the nose, trust
        me. a month after I paid $600 for the OD tranny alone I ran across
        a parts car with OD and factory alloys for about $1000 (I probably
        could have hammered the owner down to $800). Since I bought the OD
        I had no money for the car.

        Greg "with 20/20 hindsight" Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois