Re: TR3 Head gasket

To: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 Head gasket
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 00:56:10 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jack I. Brooks wrote:

> Hey list,
>
> This rambles a little, but the bottom line is that I am trying to find out
> if reusing a head gasket is feasible, or a definite "don't do it."
>
> Last weekend I believe I cracked a compression ring.  As I was driving, the
> first time out this year in my TR3, I noticed a decrease in power.  Nothing
> dramatic, just a loss of the "punch", which was there at the beginning of
> the nearly three hour drive.  This was accompanied by grey/blue smoking
> from the crankcase (block) vent, mostly under acceleration, with some
> smoking at idle and, I think, none on engine braking.  No pinging,
> knocking, piston slapping, etc.  Idle is as smmoth as always and the
> exhaust pipe contains dry fluffy black deposits, as usual.  Observations
> made as follows:
>
> Lost almost a quart of oil in 140 miles, versus normal leak, 800-1000 miles,
> No significant change in RPM with sequential spark plug wire
> removal/attachment,
> No oil in the coolant,
> No coolant in the oil,
> All spark plugs look great, light-medium brown, etc.,
> Compression test (engine cold and dry)  80,140,135,135 psi (@%!#$^@#^@).
>
> I redid the compression test in #1, after I added oil in the cylinder. The
> compression rose to 110psi.  I took the head off.  The pistons and the head
> look fine.  Unfortunately, I left the "bad" piston at TDC, so I can't see
> the liner yet.  I hope to pull this piston with the poor compression
> tonight.  I'll keep y'all informed.
>
> A local mechanic recommends reusing the head gasket, if it is in good
> shape.  He said to spray both sides lightly with Copper Kote(?), let it
> dry, then respray and install wet.  He told me he has done this for years.
> My head gasket came off beautifully.  It has indents where things get
> compressed, but otherwise is perfect.
>
> I know what you are thinking, it's only $35-40 for a new head gasket, and I
> agree, however, I just called Moss, as I work 15 minutes from their eastern
> warehouse.  The headgasket is out of stock, both here in NJ and in Goleta,
> CA too.  I haven't called VB or TRF yet, but I am curious if anyone has had
> consistantly good results from reusing a head gasket.
>
> BTW, FYI - I recently acquired a TR4 non-running engine to rebuild as a
> High HP engine for this car.  To avoid really major work on the current
> engine with the cracked compression ring, which is destined for mothballing
> in a year or two anyway, I plan on leaving the liners in the engine.  I
> will lock the liners down, put an oily rag at the bottom of each bore,
> lightly hone to break the glaze in the cylinders, and install new ring sets
> on each piston.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Jack

NEVER UNDER ANY CICUMSTANCES, a little paint is not going to build-up the
original thickness of the h-gasket, the impressions are not going back in
the EXACT location again, there is a slight chance it will work, is it
worth the try, I don't think so, if the big 3 are O/S, I will look and
send you one, I think I do have one, if not surely somone on this list
does