RE: od again - long response

To: "'Gernot Vonhoegen'" <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Subject: RE: od again - long response
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:04:07 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>From the service manual for Overdrive Unit with Electrical Control (Pub
#502274) p.7

a) Built into the relay are switch contacts which switch the current to
the solenoid when the coil is energized.  Should these contacts stick
"IN" then the od would be operative on all gears including reverse.

To Check: Remove wire from hot feed (probably starter solenoid
switch/white) to operating switch.  Check the relay contact [c2] on the
overdrive relay on the solenoid side.   If it is "alive" then the
contacts are sticking.

b) If solenoid plunger has corroded, the plunger could stick "IN"
causing od in all gears.  Remove the wire at C2 and by working the
solenoid lever on the gearbox, ensure that the plunger is working
freely.  Should there be a tightness, ensure that the lever is not
putting any side load on the actuating bolt, thereby jamming the plunger
in the solenoid.

Should the tightness remain, remove the solenoid and check for
corrosion.  If present, replace solenoid unit.

>From AutoPress Workshop Manual p.70
Isolator Switch adjustment.
Connect a battery and test lamp across the isolator switch.   Move the
gearlever until 2nd gear is fully engaged.  Screw the switch into the
switch boss until the bulb lights which shows that the switch has
closed.  Measure the gap between the switch and the top of the top cover
with feeler guages.  Make up  a shim pack from packing washers (part no.
502146) so that it equals the dimension measured minus .040 inch.
Remove switch, install washers and replace switch firmly back into gear
box.   Repeat procedure for other switch using 4th gear.

This all will need to be done witht he tranny cover off.  Hope it helps
Carl