Re: Dolly engins<98Apr20.111303gmt.66305@gateway.ukaea.org.uk>

To: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Dolly engins<98Apr20.111303gmt.66305@gateway.ukaea.org.uk>
From: RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 11:33:39 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumph owners digest <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Spit Fires <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>, RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK

>Heres one for you all in Dolly land.

>El dolimite sprint / 1850, do they av font engin rwd setup?  If so what
>differences are there between them and the 1500 engined dolys, in the
>engin mount area.  I have descided on a new project, and am looking at
>putting one of the above in to the Spitifire.  I descided that if it's
>not going to be original, then it can be unoriginal in style.  Plus I
>would like to see somthing with Triumph written on it in the engin
>compartment.

Bascically James, the 1850/2lt sprint engine are slant fours, whereas the Dolly
1500 used basically the same engine as the spit.  Hence the gearbox is
different too!  This conversion has been done before, but I'm not sure where it
can be done without an ugly bulge on the bonnet.  I have saw a conversion that
also had twin webbers and a turbo on it, but it had one gruesome bonnet on
it!!!!

>>From the 1500 to 1850 what changes are there to the engin mounts / gear
>box mounts.  Will I need to alter my propshaft and the final drive, I
>hope it can cope with the 1850's power.

The prop will need shortening I think, not sure about the diff, but I'm pretty
certain that 1850 dolly's used the same diff (ie 3.63:1)  as a 1500 Spit, just
fitted into a live axle, Don't know about Sprints, have you checked on the web
for Dolly pages, NO, not rubber dolly's before anyone says anything! :-)

>How heavy are these engins compaired to the 1500, has this swap been
>done with a 1500 doly, if so what problem have been encountered.

Don't know.

>At the moment I have a 13/50 engin is in the car, and a dolly 1500 out,
>the doly one is abit terminal, cracked piston, everything needed.  The
>13/50 is quit fast with the 1500 head on it, the 1500 was faster, but I
>think the 1850 will have a bit more shove, and I can go past those
>fiesta XR-2's etc.  Mind you when the metro used to do that, but then I
>took it 500 rpm's above the red line, not what I wan't to do in the
>Spitfire.

What's wrong with going past the red-line, my MkIV often goes past 6000rpm!!!
it ain't gone bang yet! :-)

Cheerio

Rich