RE: question:tr6 front suspension

To: "'Adrian Tedder'" <teddera@MNSi.Net>
Subject: RE: question:tr6 front suspension
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 13:15:23 -0600
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> From: Adrian Tedder [SMTP:teddera@MNSi.Net]
>
>    Is there anyone who could shed a little light on which bolts on the
> front
> suspension of the TR6 should not be torqued until the car is sitting
> on all
> four wheels.  I seem to remember something that suggested two people
> sitting
> in the car.  With wheels on and people in the car, how do you get at
> the
> bolts?  Should they be tightened a safe amount and then left to an
> alignment
> shop?  I have not tightened anything yet and would appreciate any help
> from
> the wisdom of the list.

I can't recall all the bolts. The trunnion bolts for sure. Also the
lower A-arm bolts and possibly the upper A-arm bolts (inner bolts for
the A-arms).

The way I did mine is to jack the car up and lower it on "pads" placed
under each wheel. I used three 2 by 8 by 16 (?) concrete blocks my Dad
had lying around under each wheel. On top of the blocks we placed 2 by 6
wood with chocks nailed to them to prevent the car from rolling. At that
height (it took a bit of time to get all that stuff under it!) I was
able to reach all the bolts with my torque wrench. Prior to tightening,
we put some salt bags (water softener salt) on the seats to simulate
"two occupants".

HTH,

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)