Re: UnLeaded

To: thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us
Subject: Re: UnLeaded
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 07:30:46 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I have to agree with that, I know people who have driven car's for 80
thousend miles on unleaded, yet it was a type of car that aparently
can't be run on unleaded.  With the money you save from not paying 11
pence extra per L, you soon clock up enough money to get new valves
guides, and inserts.

I don't however agree with lowering the compression, why?  Most cars
nowadays have about 9:1 compression 10:1 for the 16 valve heads, the
spitfire's compression ration is 9:1.  You mabey need to make the air
flow a bit more turbulent, to increes the octain.  Even so octain in by
no means an absolute figure, a 91 octain petrol in one engin can have a
95 octain in another.  I am still unshure why people thing pinking is so
bad, excessive pinking yes, you retard you ignition a bit, but I have
driven car's that advance the ignition untill it's just starting to
pink, when ever you accelerate, it pinks.  These engins last 150 miles
plus, and it is all working properly because it does all its checks
flashes a warning light to let you know it's all ok.

I plan on running my car on unleaded, I won't get the Supermarket stuff,
but I wouldent run any car on that rubbish.  Normal cheap branded
petrol, like esso 95 octain, not the super 98 stuff you can get.  And if
in the very unliklt event that the seats go, whell I need to replace
them to put hardened seats in, it shouldent cost so much after the
melenium, because there won't be such a rush.

--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot