TR 250/ TR6 Engine Originality Question

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR 250/ TR6 Engine Originality Question
From: Joseph Sholtes <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:57:59 -0400
Scions,

   I am going to be repainting my TR 250 engine this weekend.  No
need for a rebuild, it runs great.  I have a few questions as to the
paint scheme. I would appreciate owners of unrestored, original
six cylinder engines to please answer the following.  I will save the
info for any future questioners:

1) It appears the block was painted BEFORE machining, all machined
    surfaces are bare metal, and all bolts silver cad plate. Is this correct??

2) Were the end plates painted?  I can find no evidence they were, and am
    thinking of using a silver that looked like bare steel.

3) Were the oil filter canisters of TR 250's painted blue?  I can find no evid-
     ence of this on my car- just a trace of black paint.  If it is supposed to
be
     blue, what is the Dupont Centari code for it? Or a general description?

4) Were the engines sprayed black again after assembly?  Or are all the
     afforementioned areas, as well as the freeze-out plugs supposed to be
     silver

5) While "gunking" and spraying carb clean on the engine, I noticed writing
   in yellow on the right side.  I couldn't make any letters or numbers out
(think
   of Steve Martin reading that soggy letter, in the movie "The Jerk"), but the
   figures seemed to be written with a one inch wide brush, and were  about
   half a foot high.  Is this original?  What was it supposed to be?  The
writing
   was under the intake/exhaust, so I don't think it was from a junkyard-
besides
   they use those paint bottle pen things.

                                        Any help will be appreciated,

                                                  JOE IV