Re: TR6 front-end rebuild [was question for those whoknow....]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, ingate@shiseis.com
Subject: Re: TR6 front-end rebuild [was question for those whoknow....]
From: John Duhart <DUHART@symbol.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 13:31:40 -0400

>>> Shane F. Ingate <ingate@shiseis.com> 04/16 12:50 PM >>>
>
>Vic Whitmore wrote:
> > I would say each side on the front takes about 2 hours of mechanics
> > time (maybe less) but 3 hours for a Saturday mechanic. If it is the
> > afternoon, add beer breaks.
>
>Great post, Vic!  Now I ask is this similar to what would be required
>to rebuild the front end of a TR6?  Specifically, do I need a spring
>compressor to remove the shock/spring assembly?
>
>Could someone post equally simple instructions as Vic's Spitfire rebuild
>for the TR6?
>
> TIA,
>
> Shane Ingate in San Diego

Hey Shane,

 What more do you want to know?   I would say more like 2-3 hours per side, for
the average joe ( or shane).  Yes you should use a spring compressor.  I was
able to get a 1/4 inch thread rod, big washers and bolts for $10 from Home
Depot, to compress the spring.  However i had the body off the car when I did
this.  I not sure how easy this would be with the body on.  Also 2-3 hours
assumes no wack-o problems.  If the DPO Lock-Tited the bolts through the
trunnion (mine did) then the job will take longer.  If you have mor questions
please ask, I will try to answer.

Later,
JHD IV