Re: SU carb dashpot oil

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: SU carb dashpot oil
From: DLM Assoc <DLMAssoc@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 21:57:03 EDT
While looking thru my genuine, official and totally but somewhat
smudged original TR4 workshop manual, I came across directions
for filling SU "carburettor" dashpots:

"Unscrew the hexagon plug from the top of each carburettor and
withdraw the plug and damper assembly.  Top up the damper
chambers with the current grade of engine oil.  The oil level is
correct when, utilizing the damper as a dipstick, its threaded plug
is 1/4" (6.3mm.) above the dash pots when resistance is felt.
Refit the damper and hexagonal plug.  Using an oil can, apply
oil to the throttle and choke control linkages."

Further, the "Recommended Lubricants - British Isles (All Seasons)
chart says to use 30 wt. in the summer and 20 wt. in the winter.
The "Recommended Lubricants - Overseas Countries" chart says to
"use appropriate current single grade engine oil".

Hope this helps..  Since I bought my first TR3 some 33 years ago
I've always thought a very light sewing machine type oil was correct
for the dashpots.  Better late than never...

Don Marshall
'57 TR3   '63 TR3B   '63 TR4