Re: oil change with heat exchanger

To: "Janssen, Lee K" <lee.k.janssen@lmco.com>
Subject: Re: oil change with heat exchanger
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 08:19:36 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Netcom>
>How do you drain the oil out of the engine when you have a heat exchanger.
>Seems to me a lot of it stays in the line and radiator. Any suggestions?
>Thanks
**************************************
Lee,
You drain the oil the same way as without one.   Some of the oil (1/2 a
quart or more), depending on the size of your oil cooler, remains in the
core and lines.  I don't worry about this as it should be plumbed so that
the cooler is after the filter (mine is), and any oil going through it
would be filtered oil, as draining it entirely would be a royal pain.
Unless you really toasted the bearings, and contaminated the lines and core
with particles, it doesn't justify the mess involved in draining the entire
system.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)