TR3A ignition timing

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3A ignition timing
From: drew@pixar.com
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 15:09:37 -0700

Well, looks like the shocks are looking good and I'm thinking about tackling
(playing around with) the ignition timing. Does anyone know what the dwell
angle for a 3A is? The manual says the point gap should be set to .015"
but I've never felt comfortable with feeler gages. I seem to recall that
the manual say to set the timing to 0 deg. BTDC and then to move the
vacum advance venier one mark BTDC which should yield 4 deg BTDC. Anyone
have any other suggestions for setting the timing? There's been a bit
of discussion on just advancing the timing until you get pinging under
load above 3000 RPM. Is this what people refer to as setting the timing
"by ear?" Is there a tutorial around anywhere on setting the timing?

Thanks for any info,
Drew

--
Drew Rogge