Re: Guessing the Diff. Ratio

To: James Densley <jamesd@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Guessing the Diff. Ratio
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@mail.bright.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 21:29:35 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
James Densley wrote:

> I am wondering if it is possible to figure out the differential ratio, or
> number of teeth on the ring gear without taking off the cover and just
> counting.  Can you jack up one rear wheel, put it in neutral and turn the
> wheel and see how many times the drive shaft rotates for each wheel
> rotation?  Or do the planetary gears come into play?  I would think that
> if it was done on the r.h.s. it could be possible.
>
> Jim
jim, as long as it is not a limited slip or locked rear end, this is how
you do it.  raise the car so both wheels are free to turn (car in
neutral) and block 1 wheel so it will not rotate.  mark the other wheel
and the driveshaft so you know where you started.  rotate the driveshaft
until you get a full turn of the wheel. multiply this times 2 and that
is the ratio (you have to interpolate a little) example if a spitfire
has a 3.89 diff ratio it will take almost 2 full turns of teh driveshaft
to get a full turn of the wheel - almost 2 time 2 = almost 4 or 3.89.
the same spitfire with a 4.1 diff would take just a little more than 2
turns of the driveshaft - 2= times 2 = 4+ or 4.1.  this work for any car
. you just need to know what ratios were available. ted
--
Ted Schumacher
TS Imported Automotive