Re: Braided SS - an idea

To: Craig Smith <smi2685@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Braided SS - an idea
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 21:17:42 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Craig Smith wrote:

> Has anyone replaced the rubber radiator hoses with SS braided lines ?
> I see the upside of such a replacement but how do you attach them to the
> pump and radiator ?

I think you can get just the outside stuff, not entirely sure... then you
can fiddle with it to get the right diameter (metal braid is somewhat
elastic, so I'd guess you could arrange it so that the metal part was
1/16" bigger than the rubber hose... slip it over the hose, and dress up
the ends.

For rad hoses you don't need the extra burst protection, so it would be
for looks only... the downside, of course, is that you won't be able to
tell when your hoses are swelling up.

Unless there was a slit cut in the stainless sheathing and maybe something
eye-catching stuck underneath... then if you ever saw a piece of... umm..
survey ribbon?  gift wrap?  flapping around, you'd know that the rad hoses
need 'doing' again.

Frankly, *I* wouldn't go this far.  My rad hose dress-ups will cease
at the purchase new ones, and painting of the metal hoses silver or white
(or a similar contrasting color).

-Malcolm