Re: seelastik

To: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: seelastik
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 11:16:06 GMT
Dave writes...

>I have done several restorations and have followed the lead of an even more
>experienced restorer on this one - a product called "dum dum" is what is
>good for sealing bolt holes, etc.  Most autobody supply shops can order it
>or stock it.  it is an old style product much like plasticine (kids
>playdoh).  It will stay flexible forever. If you have ever removed your
>seatbelt anchor bolts you will have seen this stuff.

Ah...this has gotta be that white putty like stuff I find from time to
time.  Dumdum, eh?  I believe I've seen this stuff used on the
mouldings at the back of the car.  Probably helps to keep the trim
from rattling around back there.  Interesting...

>There is also a product called "brushable seam sealer" which can be used
>for sealing new rockers / floors, etc.  Being of the consistency of runny
>yogurt you can smear it by hand (wear glovess, of course) or brush it.
>
>Referring to my GT6 factory manual,  here are examples of the stuff used:
>
>-bolted metal to metal joints, metal mouldings, small screwa, etc:
>Expandite Sealastic (dumdum)
>
>- external joints (wing seams,  floor seams, trunk seams, etc) Kelseal or
>Expandite Plastisol (modern flexible seam sealer)
>
>- windshield to body - "use approved mastics" - stuff like dumdum.

>This is a small sample of the info provided in a factory manual.  Get one.
>It is invaluable.

Thanks for the informative post Dave.  Not likely Brad is gonna let me
borrow his copy after I poked fun at him and all...  :-)

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits