Re: Triumph 6 cyl. valve stem seals

To: "H. Schoonhoff" <8gees@wxs.nl>, <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Triumph 6 cyl. valve stem seals
From: "Dean C. Paige" <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 13:19:11 -0800
FWIW From what I've learned it is not a good idea to insert valve stem
seals on 6s. According to various sources these stems require some
lubrication and were designed w/o a seal for that reason. The seals
effectively exclude that causing premature failure of valve guides. I
foolishly had this done the last time I had the valves and seats ground on
my previous head. I was burning oil like crazy in less than 20,000 miles.
When I had to replace the head to pass a smog check I was told that the
seals were a big mistake The trick to preventing  oil consumption even with
the oiler is to install new valves and seats. With the new head sans oil
seals I have no problem with excess oil consumption. My opinion only but
based on personal experience.