Re: TR3 Factory Hardtops

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 Factory Hardtops
From: Bill Sohl <billsohl@planet.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 20:43:03 -0500
Cc: lseidman@erols.com
Lenny Seidman wrote:

>I may have a chance to purchase a factory TR3 steel(?) hardtop. I've
>only seen it briefly and it seemed to be in good condition. I have the
>following questions that I am hoping the Triumph listers can help
>answer:

>1- What kind of prices are these hardtops going for?

$300-$500, maybe more if it is totally complete and in PERFECT
condition... maybe less if condition is poor and the plexiglass is missing.

>2- How do they attach to the car?

Brackets.

>3- Is the hardware that attaches the hardtop to the car available?

As new parts, I don't know for sure, possibly from TRF, Moss or Rimmer Bros.

>4- Are the rear plexiglass window and seal available?

Same as answer to #3.

>5- What is the noise level inside the TR3 when driving down the road
equipped with one of these hardtops?

I'll leave this to others who have experience driving one.  More important,
what is the temperature inside the car in the summer?

6- Is it really a desirable option?

It depends.  If you want to drive your 3 during colder weather, it
probably has a desirable benefit.  If you are pretty much the
fair weather, warm weather driver, it is a waste.  The top does not
just pop on and off quickly.  Once affixed to the vehicle it is
intended to be left in place for the winter months after which one
usually took it off the following spring and reverted back to the
soft top for daily use.  Sooooo, the choice (IMHO) is more dependent
on your actual driving needs and not on appearances or value.

There was a time when TR6 hardtops were commanding about $1000, but
I suspect those days are over because most 6's now are never driven
in hard, cold weather which pretty much eliminates the benefit of
fitting a hardtop in the first place.

Just my .02, your thoughts and mileage may vary.

Bill Sohl