RE: SU H6's on TR6 (need vac adv. fitting).

To: "'Peter J Barrance'" <pjb@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu>
Subject: RE: SU H6's on TR6 (need vac adv. fitting).
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 10:40:24 -0700
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

I don't know about TR3s but on my ZS carbs (late TR6) the fitting you
speak of is a 1/8" NPT thread. The fitting you would require for this
(small brass threaded part with a plain hose fitting on the other end)
is available at any Home Depot (at least here). If not, try an auto
parts store (Pep Boys?).

If you don't have a thread gauge, then try threading a grease nipple
with the 1/8NPT thread (very common size) and see how it fits.

One thing to keep in mind about NPT threads (National Pipe Thread) is
that the part on which the thread is is tapered (ie. smaller diameter at
the start than at the end - as viewed in the direction of insertion).
This allows the pipe thread to make a seal. The point of this warning
being that if the thread does fit your carb, it will eventually get
tight to turn by hand as the tapered diameters of the bore and plug
approach equal dimensions. This is normal for pipe threaded objects.

Hopefully SUs are similar to ZSs in this regard. If not and I am lying,
I am sure someone will correct me.

Good luck,

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)