Re: sealing plugs

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: sealing plugs
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 17:34:20 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Peter Zaborski wrote:

> I have a 3/4 UNF bolt which I will need to cut to size so that it is not
> too long. That's no problem. But what I am unsure of is how to make a
> proper seal. I have tried to find a copper washer but all the local
> hardware places don't stock a copper washer large enough for a 3/4 inch
> bolt (it is one huge bolt - takes a 1-1/4" wrench!). I have considered
> using the same compound which is used on exhaust systems to make the
> seal but am looking for other options from the list.

Are you sure it's not a pipe thread?  (I've never seen the EGR on a
TR6...)

Pipe threads seal nicely with just teflon tape, or something similar...
You may want to have a copper washer cut for you out of plate copper, and
use a gasket compound on it.

BTW, you might find a whitworth sized socket that will *exactly* fit your
bolt.  I seem to remember it was either 5/8W or 9/16W (just smaller than
1-1/8")