Re: Still more electric fans

To: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Still more electric fans
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 16:51:33 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

    >> OK, so Sonja (my TR-4, for those who don't know her) is headed
    >> for an engine transplant.  Without going the BFE new pulleys, new
    >> belts, harmonic dampener way, can I remove her engine driven fan?
    >> I can go the other way, but then I need to fab yet another
    >> special pulley to drive the Judson, and the BFE kit isn't cheap
    >> by itself...

    Irv> The cranks in these cars rely on the fan to help balance
    Irv> them. Removing the fan affects the balance of the crank,

Hence the question.

    Irv> and makes a failure more likely. Add the Judson, and I think you
    Irv> are asking for trouble. The Judson adds a big load to the
    Irv> crank, from what I am told.

It's non-trivial.  Which is why I figured I could balance a little
of it with the removal of the fan.  It's actually driven off the
water pump, but it's a load on the engine in general.

    Irv> However, if you are going the full rebuild route, if you have
    Irv> everything (new pulley from where fan was, crank, rods,
    Irv> pistons, clutch and flywheel, etc) accurately rebalanced, you
    Irv> may not have a problem. Good luck.

Unfortunately, it's a long block from another party and I wasn't
planning on tearing it down before installation.  At least not if I want
to install it this year.

    Irv> PS I bought the BFE pulley kit for the TR4 engine I am
    Irv> doing. In the long run, to me that was potentially less costly
    Irv> than having to pull the engine to replace the crank.

True.  Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and call BFE...
                                                                -MM