Re: Automatic Convertible Top

To: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Subject: Re: Automatic Convertible Top
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:49:37 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bill, I don't know about modern convertible tops, but I imagine they still
operate as they have since the early '40s.  They are electro-hydraulic.
The top mechanism is lifted by two hydraulic rams which are fed pressurized
fluid by a reversable DC motor-driven hydraulic pump which is attached to a
small reservoir.

The whole thing could be removed from a suitable wrecking-yard donor and
transplanted into a Herald - with a lot of work.  The key problems would be
reconfiguring the rear seat upholstery to allow placement of the rams
beside the rear seat, and behind the rear quarter windows, then providing
suitable mounts for the bottoms of the rams.  The power unit is usually
located under the seat or in the bottom of the top well.  The only power
requirement would be a three pole electric switch capable of handling high
amperage current, a suitable fuse and heavy gauge wiring to connect to
power, the switch and the motor.  These things usually have a 30 amp fuse.

I suppose that some tops could be activated using electric motors and
cables but the hydraulic system is far superior.  Note that it wouldn't be
a Lucas system because you are more likely to find an American car donor,
which would certainly provide a simpler and more reliable system.  Note
that some of the early systems used brake fluid but I have always drained
this and substituted ATF due to the possibility of a leak over time.

John McEwen