TR3 thermostat/bypass

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 thermostat/bypass
From: Adrio Taucer <adrio@capitalnet.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 08:22:15 -0500
Some postings of late mentioned the bypass in the TR3 thermostat
housing, and a caution for those not using the original type thermostat.
My question is, exactly what is being bypassed.

Does the coolant bypass the radiator until the thermostat starts to
open, at which time the thermostat starts to block the bypass and starts
to allow coolant flow through the radiator?  If this is the case how
much coolant  (% wise) is being diverted from the radiator when a
"modern" non original type thermostat, fully open (or no thermostat), is
used in this application.

The winter must be too long up here. I am obsessing with the cooling
system this winter ;> Bring on the driving season!

Adrio Taucer
’59 TR3A
Ottawa, Canada