Choose my car colour and other mailings revisited

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Choose my car colour and other mailings revisited
From: GuyotLeonF <GuyotLeonF@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 19:05:44 EST
Hi everyone,I'm back on the list, but still reading all the digests piled up
whilst I've been off line.
1)Choose my car colour: Last Saturday I was at the BMIHT museum near Warwick
for a conference and clapped my eyes on our dear sovereign queen's 1965 Rover
P5B (3500) Saloon, it is painted in a unique shade of very very dark
green,(looks like bottle green/BRG to me),but suffice to say it looks truely
magnificent,but so it should with only 6000 miles on it.
And if it's good enough for her...
ps.Mallard Green is NOT like Laurel Green,Mallard is like the 'signal'
feathers on the back of the Mallard Duck,strangely enough,and is really quite
a nice colour,especially on a GT6-3.
2)Mainfolds for triple Webers on a GT6: If listers car to check out issue
no.18 of Triumph World,they'll see just such a set of 'Triumph Tune'/Moss
Europe inlet manifolds on my red Vitesse Convertible. I previously had a set
of SAH inlet manifolds, but they didn't match up with the inlet ports on my
GT6-3 cylinder head,and I think they were meant for a 2 Litre Mk.1 Vitesse
Cylinder-head,(like the GT6-Mk.2 aka GT6+ in USA.
Suffice to say that the TT/Moss manifolds are about the best available and
cost around 150 GBP last time I looked. The linkage kit sold seperately I
think is junk and I am going to replace mine as soon as possible with
something a bit better designed by TWM. However,do not use the TWM straight
one-piece inlet manifold which is used on the TR6,(originally designed for the
Austin-Healey 3000 I believe),because the bonnet/hood will not shut...
3)Haynes manifolds,I really cannot understand the problems getting hold of
these,as Haynes are still in business,(Haynes Publishing Ltd,Sparkford,near
Yeovil,Somerset BA22 7JJ,England. tel:00-44-1963-440635 or
FAX:00-44-1963-440908). Also,you can order Haynes manuals from Triumph
bookshop/TSSC at email <Cluboffers@aol.com>
see website at <www.tssc-hq.demon.co.uk/offers.html>
They charge 16.95 GBP each plus delivery.
4)Old varnish on dashboards: the old varnish,especially the yellowing shiny
type found on earlier Triumphs is urethane and once it starts to flake and
chip,it may be removed,preferably off the car by using a hot iron,but not so
hot as to burn the wood! and by careful scraping with a blunt flat bladed
paint scraper.
Lots of thin coats of spray-on yacht varnish,and lots of patience can produce
a wonderful finish. The more coats and the more patience,then the better the
finish.
Remember Ford were the only company that could make plastic look like wood and
Triumph the only company that managed the opposite effect!
5)To James carpenter et al: non-sticky black plastic wiring-loom/harness tape
AND Lucas multi-coloured cable/wire may be obtained at very resonable cost
from the very helpful company: Autosparks of 80-88 Derby
Road,Sandiacre,Nottingham,NG10 5HU. tel:00-44-115-9497211 or from the UK:
tel:0115-9497211  and FAX:00-44-115-9491955 or from the UK: 0115-9491955.

I hope all this helps somewhat!
Another mailing to follow when I get more time.

Happy Motoring in our 75th Anniversary Year.
Let's make the weekend of 30th/31st May 1998 the weekend to get our cars out
and DRIVE them in celebration. If you can get to the Gaydon Show then go for
it, but if not, then just drive THE TRIUMPH(S)...
Make that weekend International Triumph Weekend!
Leon F Guyot